Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Vet Visit - Dr Kerri Flex Test Lyme Test

A 9:30am apt with the Vet at Greenwood. I was having Duke evaluated for his arthritis. She was late, she text Krystyn.  I cleaned up his stall and helped around the barn a little talking with Krystyn. On the way in I called Dave Edmunds to make sure that I had his opinion. I know that Krystyn had another opinion. I like to have them both. 
Well SHe showed up with her pick-up truck.  I told her about Duke's past and how he came to Greenwood in 2016 and was lame and we got him in better shape but in the last few weeks hes been favoring his back leg and I was having him assessed. Also I wanted to have a blood test for Lyme and have him get a check up.  She reach up his mouth int his back teeth.  Dr Kerri said that Duke was about 25 by her guess.  It made me feel even more




When she got there we went directly to Duke in his stall.  She was nice enough and had a pick up truck.  She was definately all about Krystyn. I talked to her and explained the  past of Duke and also about how we got to a place where we were today.  Well she looked at him and we took hin into the arena for a walk.  Then I put up the boards to keep him in and he got so dam excited he ran down the end and kicked up his heels running crazy.  I was impressed, he usually didnt do that, I was thinking he may have been nevrous.  Well she asked if he could be lunged. Well I laughed and said, well and Krystyn piped up and said she would try.  Well she did and nothing happened. I volunteered to be lunged too.  Well it worked out good.  She watched him as he ran wiht me and then walked him.  She decided to do a Flex Test.  This is wear she compressed his legs, back legs and then we run to see if it is painful or he limps on it.  Well the first one went great and the second one he looked stiff.  She gave him a 2.5 out of 5 on the limpness scale.  Where does it show when walking.  He did really well. I can tell that if he feels badly he tried to over come it.

The AAEP guidelines explain the grading system this way:
0: Lameness not perceptible under any circumstances
1: Lameness is difficult to observe and is not consistently apparent, regardless of circumstances (e.g. under saddle, circling, inclines, hard surface, etc.).2: Lameness is difficult to observe at a walk or when trotting in a straight line but consistently apparent under certain circumstances (e.g. weight-carrying, circling, inclines, hard surface, etc.).3: Lameness is consistently observable at a trot under all circumstances.4: Lameness is obvious at a walk.5: Lameness produces minimal weight bearing in motion and/or at rest or a complete inability to move.
MORE ABOUT OBSERVING THE HORSE IN MOTION
She gave a recommendation of bute to get him back on track and then possibly go from his current meds to a more expensive one. Equisine or something like that.  We spoke a bit more and I asked for a Lyme blood test.  I know that Krystyn was against it but Ill never ever do what everything thinks I shouldnt.  What do I have to lose. Ill put in a pic of the reciect.  Its been about 2 weeks+ since he started the new supplements.
Good morning at Greenwood


In the paddock
Waiting for the Vet, Dr Kerri 


Lunging Duke :)

Flex Test


Im hoping to hear from Dr Kerri soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment