Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 22, 2018

Warm morning went to help with stalls and take care of my boy

SATURDAY:  After the last few weeks of line lead walks on the road and the arena, Duke was kicking up his heels. so much latterly that I have began to think that he may be trying to tell me something. He always pulls up during his lead line walks.  I notice it at certain places. It may be behavior but I am going to work with him and continue with Krystyn to help to get him feeling confidant again.
Today was nice.  I went out to the paddock and it was so muddy. I have been having some issues with the gate and Doc.  Hes been coming over and being a jerk and over the past year I have seen him do terrible things to Duke pushing him around. I really hate it. Well when I get Duke if Doc is nice I give him a snack today it was an apple. He needs to stay away from the gate while I am with Duke and if he does it, I give him a snack or an apple/carrot too. Its working.


I went over today gave them both apples and then returned to the barn to help out with the mucking.  I went in to talk to Krystyn and Bonnie then I asked them if they were going to take a break, if they were I can go out and start the stalls. I went to the other side because they had already done the first side. I did Thistle, Doc Cisco Thistle's brother Fred, Muke and Brat. The horses were in yesterday so there was double poop to remove. They were a little sad over some barn drama with some of the other of the boarders. Well I told them about Raych and we talked about barn stuff.  I was really happy to be there.  We finished up and swept and I got a beautiful stocking for Duke's stall it had a leopard print on the cuff.  I felt great.  Bonnie said that she appreciated me and that she took care of the Dentist for me and Duke and that she appreciated my friendship. I was so happy.

Looks like theres a fence down in the paddock




SUNDAY:
Was working on Christmas chores at home and a friend posted a picture of Duke. It was a funny one of him eating at the edge of the paddock where there happen to be a fence rail down.
I really wanted to run over to the barn because it was so nice out.  Warmer 30s-40s with bright blue sky.
I left at about 4pm or so, and when I got there it was getting dark fast.  I saw that June and Kayla were at the barn.  Kayla is now feeding on Sunday night she said that Jess does Sat night.  Duke was munching like crazy in his stall. I figured I could get in there and get the dried mud all cleared away. He was happy as could be just being there. The temperature today was ok. Yesterday it was warmer then the wind and clouds made it cold. Today it was sunny and blue sky so it seemed pretty warm. I brushed him out happily.  June had a lady over who was giving the horses a massage.  They both looked happy over in the other aisle.  Later June introduced me to her but I quickly forgot her name.
When I came back in form a great walk and grazing in the fields we went into the arena directly. I was still thinking about Duke's eyesight and what things I should be watching for with ihm. After one of the best walks I have had with him, I really paid attention to his ability to see and kept in mind that he may not be able to see in front of him and needs to turn to see.  He gets anxious the same spots every time we walk, I don't think hes a bad boy I think he is challenged and hes been trying to tell me. Now our walks are more like I am reassuring ghim that I understand his feelings and we will be patiently working until he is able to feel comfortable. I am proud of his sweet attempts to be a good boy. He tries hard so I will always make sure that we are working together and I am aware of what hi is experiencing.
When I got to the barn  I walked around to get his bucket with all of my brushes and other things and went into the stall as he munched. It was pleasant to hang out with him. I hadn't put on my muck boots but instead I had my paddock boots on. He was still covered with dried mud but it comes off so easy on him.  I went to town on his coat I had washed his tail yesterday but today it was a dry mud brush out.  he was funny, it was actually dusty.  I enjoyed seeing how quickly his coat was clean.  then when I thought it was good we went out to take our walk out to the road. I watched him as he turned around and tilted his head.  I thought about how Krystyn had said that his blue eye might be the one.  I began to feel a bit different on our walks as I talked to him. He paid attention to my words and pressure on his line.  He was completely attentive to keeping his feet on the ground, not bucking or rasing his legs up. He did have a faster step and I was following his pace.  . I miss when we used to run and stop. Maybe he misses it too. I think I might start working on it again if I feel like hes calmed down enough and will listen to me.  We did something we don't usually, he grabbed some grass while we were way from the barn on the walk.  He was sneaky about it but I thought it was Christmas so its a great time to sneak grassEvery day with him is a gift that I get from heaven.  Like a wonderful spirit of that guy.  Hes a complete joy. After our walk we went into the field by the edge and the grass looked short we munched a bit on the edge and then we went over by the tractors where he loves the grass the best and we ate.  Then we went back into the barn to walk and play in the arena.
We went into the arena and all I had was candy, Duke didn't mind.  He acted like he was going to roll but instead he waited for my ques and then he ran like a champ with his leg kicks up. I will be bringin my go-pro to capture how beautiful Duke looks as he runs along in the arena wildly and kicks up his heels to catch up with me.  I feel like hes comfortabl ewith me and I am able to bond with him like nothing else.  As I am working with Duke, June is watching with her friend.  She admired us from the rail as I saw her smiling watching us round about as we worked asking about how old he was.  Last time I was in the barn June mentioned how she thought he was a really good horse that seemed loving.  The time before she mentioned that his feet looked really great, and his hoofs were healthy looking and asked about his farrier.  This week she mentioned how she thought he was responding to me and walking together base do my cues.  She asked how old he was as he danced across the large arena with his feet kicking up so crazy.  I love how he runs around. I know hes feeling so much better. ItI did that walking around and running around back and forth. He did not roll but acted like he might.
We worked out and he was ready to go to bed. I know when he goes to the rail too much he has had enough. I put all of his stuff away in the bucket that I use now.  I really like it.  Holds my stuff perfectly. I brushed out his tail.  I did spray it again with the fung off. I would like him to stop rubbing it but they were in this week some and I think he does it out of bordem.









No comments:

Post a Comment