Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

3rd Lunging lesson for Duke and me

Left work ran home for coffee and then meeting Krystyn for our lesson. I was running late. texted her that I was on the way.  Im happy to be continueing our lessons with Duke.  Krystyn seems to really enjoy working with him.  Breaking News, Duke loves the work we are doing. Im so very proud of him. 
When I got there Patti and June had just gotten back from a ride.  Big smiles, Patti rode Townes they said. June was just beaming.  Krystyn was waiting patiently.  She asked me if I wanted to work inside or outside. I thought which one was better for Duke or me?  Well I think the footting in the arena was much better than the footing in the large paddock.  The mud from the rain and the horses have made a mess with the ground. 
Krystyn was good, she was happy to work on our training with Duke.   We started out into the arena and Krystyn had the whip.  Duke was ready as soon as I took his lead line off.  I stood behind Krystyn as she worked with him and they rounded each of the turns in the arena.  She was careful to explain things to me. After a while we gave Duke a break.  We worked at the end of the exercises of moving back and forth in circles around me and her.  She would turn her back and he would sometimes come to her and I.  She then gave him a loving pat on the side of his neck. 
I didnt groom him we just went right into the arena work.
We worked him out for like about 20 min and then we took another rest. 
I need to keep myself behind his shoulders, keep the whip behind his butt and face my body and point to the area that I want him to more.  He reads the posture position and the eye contact very well.  I need to back up swiftly to keep him from undermining the plan.
Krystyn said that if he turns away to go around then hes disrespecting me.  Doing it his way instead of what I am asking of him.  I especially enjoy how he is coming out of his shell running the entire arena and listening to the cues for his direction.  Im so proud.
Today I had more confidance in working with him with the whip.
We talked more about working out his problems so I can get back on the trails. I forgot to share that he shakes his head alot when we are going out on the trails. He refuses to go into certian areas and that I felt less confidant that i had for years.  This friend of mine became less of a trustworthy friend and more of a jerky boy.  Well we are going to work on all of these issues so hes himself again and riding on the Greenwood trails iwht me as I always dreamed. Im patient but Krystyn thinks hes taking advantage of my gentle and care nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment