Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Walked the trails leading Duke 55 degrees -- Beautiful

Duke was waiting in the stall with his butt gains the door.  He quickly turned when he heard me coming.  I shared his apple with Sergeant, and Taffy.  I gave a hoof snack to Jim and to another one on the way into the barn.





Duke has been resting for the past couple of weeks.  I have been walking him in the field a couple of weeks to make up for his lack of miles walked.  Today I decided to walk with him on a trail ride.  I didn't want him to get out of the routine of wearing saddles and all of his tack so I brushed him up good and tacked him.  Because of the halter and lead line could put pressure on his nose I decided to put his soft fleece lined nose guard.  I think he looks great in it.  I waited for the horses to leave and finished tacking him up.  Amy, Laurie, Lexie Terry went out the back way.  I waited and Duke and I went out into the woods the back way by the boarder barn.  Duke was so cute with how confused he was as we walked into the woods with me leading him and we went on the trails.  IT was less rocky on the back trails.  Plenty of mud and water.  We walked at a decent pace until he would keep stopping to make sure I didn't want to return or get on his back and ride him.  I continued to talk to him because its hunting season and there are pleanty of hunters on the trails.  Sure enough as we were walking the trail backwards and coming down into the place where the long stretch of the old railway bed joins to go back to the barn and I heard a vehicle coming quickly from the right side.  I woahed Duke and sure enough it was an ATV with a Camo look and 2 guys with bright orange vets.  They waived me on.  I wasn't very comfortable with them coming behind us.
Duke kept a great pace running down the rail way bed trails.  They kept way back but I didn't like it at all.  Duke was quick to do anything I asked him.  He was a rock and a wonderful guy at that.  Im looking forward to going down that trail again on foot with him.
We left the hunters and they went on their way.  Duke and I went to the lake and walk and then doubled back by way of the little dessert and up the trails to the back end of the farm.  Duke knew were we were most of the time but walking the backwards way on these trails definitely excited him and also confused him.  He was excellent on the trails.  He did way over 2 miles all trails.  I was so proud.
It was Katie's birthday we had a cake and signed a card.  I gave her a bottle of Malbec "The Show"  Malbec Mendoza.  Its a good wine.  I told them my secret if the wine was too strong grab a ginger ale, ice cube and an orange slice and enjoy the rest of the bottle.  It was a nice day.  Stopped by Kohls on the way home and grabbed some gifts for the girls.

































Cassie and Katie giving a family horseback riding lessons in the outside ring

No comments:

Post a Comment