Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Walked and rode the trails today

Cold in the morning, too cold.  I stayed home and watched Scrooge and also It happened on Fifth Ave, nice Christmas Movies.  Had a piece of toast and out the door.  I saw that Laurie and Cathy were talking. It looked as though they had ridden already.  I went and got my old shoes out to warm and got my lead line and headed over to get "that guy".  I called him as I walked over to the gate area.  He heard me and came up to the gate this time.  I was able to get him out of the gate and give him his apple.  I think he likes it a lot.
We walked with some pep to the rail.  I wasn't sure what to do, I know he is missing his right front shoe.  Before much more could happen, I brushed him up a lot around his tail and just headed out on the farm to get his walking in. I thought I may go in the field again.  Well he had such nice pep that I decided we would go the trails together. I would walk with him out the way by the dining hall and up the hill.  The guys were all watching us at the dining hall. It was cold today but because I didn't come over until 12 noon, the sun was up and it was perfectly warmier. I had my clothes layered and had my head band on.

Behind the Farm walking

We headed out on the rocky trail and decided to go down to the end of the farm to look back over at the Boarder Horses. Duke seemed to understand because he looked over at the horses as we went down the hill.  



 On the Trails walking


 Duke did such a good job on the trails. I believe I will be walking him more often and possibly jumping on him at some point to ride him back.  I went down the edge of the beginning paths and then took the sharp right onto soft lower ground.  He was pretty happy to be venturing out with me. At first he was looking at me strange again like" why are you walking and I am not tacked?"  He is getting used to walking with me.  He began to understand that there are places on the trails were he needs to make room for me and also places where I need to walk in front of him.  He listened to my every word while we walked toward the bridges both of them.  He was excellent and walked carefully behind me.  I feel like we are very close because he was watching me and I feel understanding that I need some room, considering me.  I know that he wanted to have a snack but I didn't give him one for a while.  I hand fed him a snack after he listened for a while.
During the ride Duke trotted a certain spots that we would usually trot.  As we went along I wondered how his leg was feeling. Im not sure if he is getting the supplements. We went through "Bobs trails" and Duke starting trotting quickly, I reminded him and I was with him in-tow.  He slowed.
We went over the two bridges like we were both on the trails together.  I had a feeling that he began to understand just how much I enjoy him. I told him a story of how I go for walks.

I should have gone over to the barn and made a little place for myself.  Maybe we should do that or maybe we can later.  The paddock is so muddy that Im worried about Dukes legs and hoofs.









After our walk I took the brush and brushed out Duke's legs and hoofs. They are covered with thick mud.   It makes me worry that his feet are submerged in thick wet mud for so long but, he's in a stall for a while and thats got to be better than in the wet rain like the other herd.  He's been doing so good with the change and he deserves that apple everytime.
Cathy thinks that the mud sucked his shoes right off.  Yesterday Bobby said he'd check Duke's foot, hoof and leg while he shoes him.  I thought that was great.  Bobby takes such great care of our horses, I thank godness for him.
Looking at the Map I made of this ride, I am learning more about the trails from my own experiences.  During the winter maybe Ill grow in my expertise and Duke too.  It would be great to learn from him too.

On the Ride with Duchess

Decided it would be good to go at 2pm ride on Duchess.  Theresa said that she was avaialble.  The family that was riding was very excited to ride. Theresa was the guide with Katie and Cahty came along too.  Katie and Cathy chatted for the ride. I was happy that the family was interested in trotting.  I feel that I have a better ride with Duchess than I have had in the past.  I kept my heels down and seemed to keep my seat centered on her instead of going from side to side as I have in the past.  Something I did notice is that she wanted to trot fast.  She jumped up to trot quickly.  She was leaning ahead the whole ride before she finally was able to trot.  I loved it a lot.















Blue coming into Eat & My Little Lamb

















No comments:

Post a Comment