Total Pageviews

Friday, October 28, 2022

3rd Weekend with Beau working out

Beau was so dam good today. When I walked up the hill, he saw me and came to the gate. I petted his face so soft. At first he was really pushy, he seems to forget that we have been working on for our exercises and training. As soon as I could I got him to stop eating grass and walk dow the hill toward the barn door. I turned him around and he idd his first walk up the hill. I was so proud.

We worked our training, I tried to get him to engage his butt. I tried to get him to do the stomach lift too. No luck. I think that if I keep him walking then learn to lunge him, I could get in a better place for his strengths.

  • Walked around the property, totally of 1.2 miles. He really did so good walking backwards and turning. We did a ton of turns out in the dirt driveway, like maybe 30 times and then both sides. I am so proud of him. 
  • He wore the pad, he walked around followed me w/out the lead line and also with the lead line.
  • He ran with me on cue, we did the run with a click sound and stop with a hoe word.
  • He wore the new Billy Cook with his old bit, for about 20 to 30 minutes in the arena. I used the reins, Duke's old ones. 
  • I sewed a sherpa pad onto Sienna's stall just like Beau's, it looked really good.
  • I worked on him standing still at the mounting block, it was not as successful but at least he knows I am looking for him to be ready to ride with me bareback. Im thinking tomorrow. 
  • We ran a lot and he stopped pretty good, but not perfect.
  • At the end of our visit, he walked up the hill backwards 3 times. We also walked in the front of the barn, did our turns an walking backwards so many times.







 






Some ideas you may want to incorporate into your riding sessions:

  • Backing up mounted or unmounted 60 steps
  • Walking slowly over high raised poles (mounted or unmounted)
  • Pelvic tucks and/or belly lifts
  • Walking and bending around a ten-meter circle with a very low stretched neck position (mounted or unmounted)
  • Tight serpentines mounted or unmounted
  • Hill work – walking, trottiWo and even backing up and down hills
  • Walking and trotting briskly over ground poles placed randomly around an area of varying surfaces, i.e., grass, sand, gravel.
  • Carrot Stretches: While keeping your horse’s feet immobile, use a carrot or treat to entice his head/neck to the following positions:

-The middle of the chest (chin to chest)

-Between the knees

-Between the front fetlocks

-The girth

-The flank/hip region (holding the treat approximately two feet outward from the     flank)

-Toward the hind fetlock

No comments:

Post a Comment